Next Fixture

Witton Albion v. Northwich Victoria (PSF).
2 days 23 hours and 36 minutes

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Leek Town

Leek Town 12 years 1 month ago #1

Had a brief look on Leek's website and you have to say it doesn't look to good for them - no players, no ground, no money and no hope.

Judging by some of the comments it looks unlikely that they will be in our league next year unless a minor miracle happens soon.

I for one hope they do pull round (despite teh reults last year!) - they were one of the teams that managed to bring some fans to WP and they were always a pretty decent lot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Club Shop Online

Check out the great range of goods on sale at the Witton Albion Club Shop.

Re: Leek Town 12 years 1 month ago #2

Couldnt agree wiith you more concerning our old pals at Leek, very disturbing news indeed, in that they need £30,000 in a couple of weeks or so or go out of business, we wish them well. Another interesting site is our beloved neighbours from over the canal.
MC has finally founnd time to look for the club car on Stalybridge's car park last Wednesday and has now finally replied to SB's resignation - side splitting stuff indeed - can smell the bull sh*t from here, so to can the supporters trust page, bless em.

Re: Leek Town 12 years 1 month ago #3

• Picko
  • Football Hero
  • Football Hero
  • Thank you received: 7
Feel sorry for Leek ... but yet another warning to clubs who want to throw money they haven't got to try and get success, attracted Benny and a few ex players on good contracts from us a couple of seasons ago........ BPA be careful
The hardest part about moving on is learning not to look back!!

Re: Leek Town 12 years 1 month ago #4

• MONA
  • Football Hero
  • Football Hero
  • Thank you received: 105
Agree with everything Baggie says but thats not surprising being a mucker of his from when he was a little boy just starting out in the Witton Choir. in the sixties. Yes it really is a shame about Leek and I do hope they pull it round as they are a good gang of supporters who'll have a bit of banter but no fisticuffs at dawn which is the way it should be. I only hope that the BPA bubble bursts sooner rather than later though not serious enough for them to go bust just become a normal club with normal money again.
Over the canal MR C has produced an elaborate diary of events on his differences with Mr Burr. Its all very well laid out and reads like a novel. There is the clue though because a Novel is generally a work of fiction!! Again I feel sympathy with the genuine vics fans in all of this. I hope they have some sense andthe will to start off again say in the Unibond Div 1 and dispense connections with a certain Millionaire of this parish!! I think thats the only way forward for them!!

Re: Leek Town 12 years 1 month ago #5

MONA. I think a good name for the novel, is The Sinking Ship ;D Why i hear you ask ? Well i`ve been told by a very good Source that a certain Mr C, as been forced to sell his beloved boat :o I`ve also been told that the Bank now own the Ground :o Em....., they do say that a good novel should have a twist ;D How about someone that as been paying the players wages when Mr C couldn`t afford to. And that person now wants his money back :o They also say that a good novel should have a good ending ;)
( ALLEGEDLY).

Re: Leek Town 12 years 1 month ago #6

Looks like Leek have been saved. A consortium of local business men have stepped in to save the club and to keep them in Unibond Premier.

Personally I am pleased to see that happen. Just hope they don't get any points off us next year that's all !!

Re: Leek Town 12 years 1 month ago #7

• Neil
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
Apart from the fact our home record against them is poor I'm v pleased as we'd have lost one of our better home gates of the season and potentially our boxing day game! (with 21 teams some1 would have no derby - couldhave been us!)

We can get the bikes dusted off now eh Greenie!
Witton till I die!

Re: Leek Town 12 years 1 month ago #8

• MONA
  • Football Hero
  • Football Hero
  • Thank you received: 105
Agree with you Neil. Leek are a bogey team for us but its good they have survived as they are a club local to us as you have pointed out. Be interesting to see who goes there as manager. Maybe Ogden will be tempted back if the business men put some money in!! Either ways lets hope we get 6 points off them!!

Re: Leek Town 12 years 1 month ago #9

• Picko
  • Football Hero
  • Football Hero
  • Thank you received: 7
Mona, you must have a crystal ball;

Kidsgrove Athletic`s joint-manager Paul Ogden has left the UniBond League Division One club to rejoin Premier Division neighbours Leek Town.

Ogden quit Leek for Kidsgrove last year, but heads back to Harrison Park for his fifth spell as manager now the future of the club has been secured by the financial backing of a three-man consortium.

The consortium was known to favour Ogden (pictured) as manager, and he said: "I hope we can build for the future."

But Ogden denied he had resigned from Kidsgrove, adding: "I asked to be released from my contract and have left on good terms."

Ogden was halfway through a two-year contract and, as part of their agreement to let him go, Kidsgrove are believed to be seeking assurances from Leek he will not raid their players.

Ogden explained: "I have done my best at Kidsgrove and they are well established. And I have every respect for their chairman, Stan Brown. He is the best.

"But Leek Town has played a big part in my life. It will be a strange feeling going back this time, but I started my managerial career there and I would like to finish it there."

Ogden, below, faces the daunting task of quickly rebuilding a Leek squad capable of competing in the UniBond Premier now it has been decimated by departures due to the uncertainty of the club's future until it was sealed by a £50,000 cash injection agreed at the weekend.

Skipper Wayne Johnson is one of the few survivors from last season.

Meanwhile, Kidsgrove start the search for a replacement to partner Peter Ward, who said: "Leek Town is close to Paul's heart. We had a great working relationship and did a good job, so I am sorry to see him go, but our ambitions remain the same.

"We still want to get out of this league."
The hardest part about moving on is learning not to look back!!

Re: Leek Town 12 years 1 month ago #10

• CHAD
  • Legend
  • Legend
  • Thank you received: 84
Peter Ward may well get his wish - although not what he presumably intended - to get out of the league :-
With a shortage of playing staff at Leek wonder if Oggie will try and strip Grove, now that sounds familiar :-X

Re: Leek Town 11 years 11 months ago #11

• WHEELS
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1066
What a turnaround at Harrison Park.

Paul Ogden back in charge, an influx of new players and following today's result, they've scored 16 goals in three pre season friendlies.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds