Next Fixture

No events

Former Players

More
1 year 10 months ago #691 by eligorton
eligorton replied the topic: Former Players
Ken Higgs the former Witton centre -half and Lancs & England fast bowler has passed away aged 79. RIP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 10 months ago #692 by WHEELS
WHEELS replied the topic: Former Players
Saw that on the news at tea time. RIP

More
1 year 10 months ago #693 by WHS
WHS replied the topic: Former Players
Great lad, great fast bowler. He was in Alty hospital with a broken nose when I was having my tonsils out in 1965 I think and whilst still under anaesthetic he grabbed the nurses leaning over him and gave her a great big kiss. Was he really out? Who knows?
WHS.

I have been retired for 8 years now and I can confirm two things; You cannot work out how you found time to go to work and it is wonderful to be TOTALLY in charge of your life, with the wife's permission of course. Read me in the Our Town magazine.

More
1 year 10 months ago #694 by Knutsfordian
Knutsfordian replied the topic: Former Players
Those were the days ! An international cricketer playing non league football ! If I remember correctly Ian Botham played for Scunthorpe but I can't remember too many others. I suspect these days there are too many test matches to allow players to follow other sporting pursuits.

More
1 year 10 months ago - 1 year 10 months ago #695 by WHEELS
Ryan Sidebottom's dad Arnie, played for Yorkshire as well as playing football for Manchester United and Huddersfield Town. The other that springs to mind was Leicestershire batsman Chris Balderstone, who was also a midfielder with Carlisle United.

Jim Cumbes, former West Bromwich Albion goalkeeper played for Worcestershire then went on to hold quite a high position in administration I think at Lancashire.
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by WHEELS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thatched tavern

More
1 year 10 months ago #696 by bjc
bjc replied the topic: Former Players
Going back even further to the 1950's Denis Compton played cricket for Middlesex and football for Arsenal. He played regularly for the England cricket team and apparently represented his country at football although those games were not recognised as "official".

More
1 year 10 months ago #697 by WHS
WHS replied the topic: Former Players
As did his brother Leslie, though I do not think he was an international.
WHS.

I have been retired for 8 years now and I can confirm two things; You cannot work out how you found time to go to work and it is wonderful to be TOTALLY in charge of your life, with the wife's permission of course. Read me in the Our Town magazine.

More
1 year 10 months ago #698 by WHEELS
Watching Welsh Premier League football on S4C.

Rhyl vs Airbus UK Broughton, two former Witton players in opposition.

Striker Carl Lamb playing for Rhyl whilst former Albion keeper Ryan Neild is in goal for Airbus.

More
1 year 10 months ago #699 by WHEELS
Former Witton defender John Shaw, scored for Warrington Town on his debut this afternoon after joining from Stalybridge Celtic.

More
1 year 9 months ago #700 by WHEELS
Former Witton defender George Grayson has now gone full circle with his football career. The Sheffield-born player who began his career at Sheffield United, following spells with Buxton & Northwich Victoria has returned to his native city by joining Stocksbridge Park Steels.

More
1 year 9 months ago #701 by WHEELS
Former Witton midfielder Micky Mellon has left Shrewsbury Town to take over at Vanarama National League Tranmere Rovers.

More
1 year 9 months ago #702 by C.J.
C.J. replied the topic: Former Players
would he do us a favour with Tolani !

Witton Albion for Life UTA

More
1 year 9 months ago #703 by WHEELS
Former Witton Albion forward Alex Salmon, son of our Director of Football Development John Salmon has joined Droylsden following a spell in Australia.

More
1 year 9 months ago #704 by WHEELS
Former Albion goalkeeper Jon "Spider" Worsnop has joined Warrington Town after leaving Chester FC.

More
1 year 9 months ago #705 by WHEELS
Former Witton winger Steve Adams, has left his job as manager of Northern Counties Eastern League club Parkgate FC. The Rotherham - based outfit are currently bottom of the table.

Time to create page: 0.692 seconds