Next Fixture

Witton Albion v. Spalding United (Play-off Final)
0 days 00 hours and 38 minutes

Club Shop Online

Check out the great range of goods on sale at the Witton Albion Club Shop.

New book on the history of Witton Albion

If anyone would like to order a copy of the book, written by Allen Lowe (WHS on here), please post on the ' BOOK ' thread or contact Allen directly. The book should be published later this year, Allen will need to know the number required. The book will cost in the region of £10, all profits will go to the club.
Please spread the message to any Wittoners you know who no longer get to games or who do not use this forum.

The Title Run-In - Remaining Games.

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #31 by econneely

Difficult one for the management team to deal with. Do we rest players for the play-offs or go full tilt "hoping" that SL slip up twice? Personally, I would put out half strength team on Saturday (with the main men on the bench if needed) - full tilt against the rabble on Monday and then have the option of resting the whole first team on the final Saturday depending on how SL do.

The absurdity of the play-off system is that we are 24 points clear of the 4th and 5th placed teams and 17 clear of Spalding - yet they get a one-off chance to overturn a whole seasons work. I can accept the money-making aspects to the play-offs in the professional game with the extra revenue created, but at our level the idea is a nonsense. OK so we would get home ground advantage but we all know most teams come to us and think they're playing at Wembley!

WAFC Supporters Club - Otley Branch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #32 by WHS

They actually only need to draw two to give us a chance, they don't have to lose.
WHS.

I have been retired for 8 years now and I can confirm two things; You cannot work out how you found time to go to work and it is wonderful to be TOTALLY in charge of your life, with the wife's permission of course. Read me in the Our Town magazine.

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #33 by Witton_Albion_fc

I think the main reason for play offs at this level is not to make money from a couple of extra games, which is pretty negligible once the gate has been split and expenses met and the players have been paid an extra weeks wages.
Rather it's to maintain interest right to the end of the season and cut down the number of meaningless end of season matches. It's helped us in the past and we can't really moan about it now.
Oh hang on, we're Witton Fans..Of course we can!

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #34 by oddfellow

while there is a small chance we can still win it then go for it . probably a no win situation, if we rest a lot of our first team and we draw or even loose one of the next 2 games and Shaw Lane slip up, we would be kicking ourselves going into the last game. But yes its unlikely that they will let it slip now , but if after mondays game we are sure not to win the league then give them the last saturday to rest up. But whatever happens its certainly been a very enjoyable season UTA

I have no idea what I am doing. But incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm."

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #35 by fairnsquare

Just to throw one in the mix!!
Lets say we get Spalding in the play off final and its 2-2 (again)..After extra time.
Which of our 2 keepers is better at saving Pens?? Anyone??

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #36 by W.O

no idea ,as far as I know there hasn,t been a pen saving contest

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #37 by WHS

I agree about only resting players when it is mathematically impossible for us to win the league. As for the playoffs, the organisers need to decide if they are running a league or a knockout competition!! Is it our fault that other teams are playing pointless games because they are so far behind?
WHS.

I have been retired for 8 years now and I can confirm two things; You cannot work out how you found time to go to work and it is wonderful to be TOTALLY in charge of your life, with the wife's permission of course. Read me in the Our Town magazine.

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #38 by WHEELS

Whether it's a pointer or not I don't know but Danny Roberts has saved a penalty this season.

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #39 by Paul S

Has it been confirmed yet that the play off dates will be Tuesday 25th and Saturday 29th April? Apologies if this has already been posted on another thread.

If I had the wings of a sparrow...

More
2 weeks 2 days ago - 2 weeks 2 days ago #40 by WHEELS

They were at the end of last season. The Semi Final being played on the normal Matchday of the home club. Still to be confirmed as yet as places are still up for grabs in the play offs and positions.

Last Edit: 2 weeks 2 days ago by WHEELS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul S

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #41 by postyred

why are we talking of play offs?there could still be another twist in the title race and i think we've got an easier run in than shaw lane have.UTA.

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #42 by Paul S

postyred wrote:

why are we talking of play offs?there could still be another twist in the title race and i think we've got an easier run in than shaw lane have.UTA.

Worst case scenario. Agree that we aren't out of it yet but if we do end up in the playoffs at least we can advertise the games if we know when they are going to be played. We can then get as many Wittoners down to WP as possible to get behind the lads for the last times this season and give it one final push. UTA

If I had the wings of a sparrow...

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #43 by Philrobbo

The league was lost in my opinion home games against Rugby and Spalding not saying anything about team selection

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #44 by WHEELS

It is more difficult now admittedly but the players haven't given up yet and neither should we. Shaw Lane have slipped up before and they can slip up again. While there's a chance however slim we keep going.

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #45 by WHS

And won in almost every other game Philrobbo. We have won 28 drawn 6 and lost just 5 and still you are not pleased with the manager's selections!!

Time to create page: 0.597 seconds