• Page:

TOPIC: 1874 Northwich Fixtures

1874 Northwich Fixtures 10 months 1 day ago #1

• WHEELS
  • WHEELS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 929
We are hosting 1874 games on Saturday, 17th February (1874 vs Runcorn Town - 3pm ), Thursday 1st March (1874 vs Vics - 7.45pm )  and possibly Saturday, 3rd March (subject to cup draw/replays etc). We may also be hosting them on Saturday, March 24th.

That will then be it, unless a replay is required in the FA Vase but that would again depend on our own home fixtures. It has been made clear to 1874 that we cannot stage two games in one weekend at WP.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Club Shop Online

Check out the great range of goods on sale at the Witton Albion Club Shop.

1874 Northwich Fixtures 10 months 19 hours ago #2

It may be hyperbole to suggest that this is a suicidal decision by Witton and I don't hold much truck with those who throw their toys out of the pram and want to sack the board every time a decision like this is made. But this is a bad decision. Every success for 1874 is a bad thing for Witton and we shouldn't be helping them. Everytime the Winsford bog is unplayable the neutral has to come and watch Witton. Everytime the Winsford bog is unplayable it adds another postponement, another fixture to their fixture congestion and makes it more likely that they won't get to Wembley and won't get promoted, both eventualities being bad news for Witton. I don't know how much Witton gain financially by these fixtures but it would have to be an awful lot for it to be enough. If someone wants to open up a dialogue about how we might turn three clubs into one, playing in red and white, at Wincham Park and with a couple of big local sponsors to help a push towards Northwich having a football league club then I'm all in favour. But this isn't that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jonnyamery

1874 Northwich Fixtures 10 months 17 hours ago #3

What evidence is there that the neutral comes to watch us if games are called off, crowd figures certainly don't support that at all.
We need to realise and quick that we need another team at Wincham Park to enable us to compete at a decent level. We have a first class ground lets use it to our advantage
. If that means 1874 then so be it. I'm proud enough to swallow my pride if it means our club surviving at a decent level.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thatched tavern

Last edit: by Charliebel.

1874 Northwich Fixtures 10 months 17 hours ago #4

• GE
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 85
Chris - I couldn't see in your post any of your suggestions how Witton might raise the money that 1874 are paying for these games if the Board had turned this opportunity down.
Perhaps you could let us know.
GE
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charliebel

1874 Northwich Fixtures 10 months 5 hours ago #5

Sorry I tried to edit my original post and inadvertently posted both.
I do apologise , I'm sure I'll get the hand of modern technology eventually.

1874 Northwich Fixtures 10 months 4 hours ago #6

GE wrote: Chris - I couldn't see in your post any of your suggestions how Witton might raise the money that 1874 are paying for these games if the Board had turned this opportunity down.
Perhaps you could let us know.
GE

Well said.
We can all just ignore and criticise what is happening or we can actually do something that can stop the club from not being able to compete at the level we deserve.
We have to ensure the board are able to give Carl or any future Witton Manager the playing budget to make us competetive .
Our main asset is our ground lets use it.

Last edit: by Charliebel.

1874 Northwich Fixtures 10 months 3 hours ago #7

“ needs must when the devil drives “

1874 Northwich Fixtures 10 months 2 hours ago #8

GE - As I understand things, we are hosting these games because the weather has conspired to provide this opportunity. Had the weather been more clement then the games would have been played in Winsford and we would not have made any money at all. Admittedly a windfall is always welcome but I hardly think that that is a good basis on which to plan the clubs future. As for the idea that our ground is an asset and we 'need' another club to share it with us, if that is what the board decide then so be it but if that club is The Shit Victoria or 1666 Victoria Shit then we need to accept that in the medium to long term that club will, inevitably, become more successful than Witton Albion, even if Witton Albion still owns the ground. Why? Because the people of Northwich don't like Witton Albion very much. The people of Northwich want to support a team called 'Northwich', in whatever form that club exists. It's sad, but most Wittoners know deep in their hearts that the town doesn't like us very much and would have preferred it if we'd just gone silently under years ago. Instead, our club was run by honest, sensible people who made decent football and business decisions and didn't live in a fantasy land of FA Cup ties on telly and 10,000 seat stadiums with a marina outside to park your boat. And the town hates us because we never had a grand vision, because we had some common sense and because we don't have the word 'Northwich' in our name. If 1666 shit get a foothold in Northwich of any sort, they will grow into a bigger club and Witton will survive, probably, as the little club in town occasionally getting beat in the Mid Cheshire Cup by Barnton and Lostock. Whilst both versions of the green shit are out of town, we have a chance to come up with a plan for the future, not for next year or the year after, but one which will see us pick up local support for the next twenty years. Changing our name to Northwich Albion should probably be step one in that plan. I suspect that the board of 1666 shit would consider it a disaster if we did that. Which is one reason why we should. Assisting 1666 shouldn't be anywhere near that plan.

1874 Northwich Fixtures 10 months 2 hours ago #9

2012 Winsford a big threat maybe not ! lost at home last night in a league game to Mighty Ashton in front of 159 - hardly the stuff of legends lol.
We appoint a board as shareholders and have to trust them to balance the books we are not stacked with RICH people who can throw money at the club-any income has to be considered and this might be a short term fix to help both-we have a new board approaching us and maybe someone else wants to use our ground lets see what happens.
I do not agree that the town does not like us that is a bit of paranoid nonsense when we were in the conference we had bigger gates than V**s We are bigger now ! it can be done but we need sustainable income. UTA
Witton Albion for Life UTA

1874 Northwich Fixtures 10 months 2 hours ago #10

• GE
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 85
As was mentioned at a recent meeting of supporters/volunteers the issue with Witton supporters is that they are too paranoid about 1874/NVFC & not focusing efforts on their own Club.

As a comparison Marine FC are 3rd from the bottom of our Division & could be relegated into the Evostick North. They allow City of Liverpool FC to share who (unlikely) could be promoted to the same division. Marine FC will continue to take CoL's valued rent.

Again, Chris, whilst it came over how much you dislike 1874 (-208) I don't see your alternative revenue suggestion.
GE

1874 Northwich Fixtures 10 months 1 hour ago #11

I don't agree with the comment that the town don't like us .
The split of the other side has not all one sided as you think. I know a lot of V**s fans who are friends of mine have decided not to follow the new team.
Non league as a whole is not what is was . With Football being on TV seven days a week people rightly or wrongly dont want to leave their sofas.
We cant live in the past. We need to increase revenue and using our major asset to me makes perfect sense

1874 Northwich Fixtures 10 months 58 minutes ago #12

Mike Worthington wanted to get Northwich into the name of the club. No matter what you thought about him I think he may well have had a good point !

1874 Northwich Fixtures 9 months 4 weeks ago #13

I dont know what would be acceptable tbh : Northwich Albion not really, Witton & Northwich Albion Maybe but a bit long the trouble is all the history is with the two names, Witton Albion of Northwich again a bit long Answers on a postcard please.
Witton Albion for Life UTA

1874 Northwich Fixtures 9 months 4 weeks ago #14

Anyone calling for a merger of the clubs really should think carefully. I for one would not watch a merged club wherever they play or whatever they are called. I'm a Witton supporter not a football supporter. If I was bothered about football I wouldn't watch it at this level, I'd watch it on telly like most other people. But I'm not, I'm interested in Witton Albion because I was brought up that way and my family has always been connected to the club. Take away that connection and I see no reason to continue watching, I would rather save my money. Maybe I am the only one of this opinion but looking a the gates we get, I don't think so. Have always supported Witton Albion and always will but won't support 1874witton, Northwich Albion or any other permutations . Also have to say that even if it was only a name change and not a full merger with another club, I would feel the same. It would no longer be Witton Albion so why on earth would I want to watch. Nuff said

Last edit: by Redigster 131.

1874 Northwich Fixtures 9 months 4 weeks ago #15

My suggestion:

Witton Albion

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds