Next Fixture

Witton Albion v. Solihull Moors (FAC4Q).
1 days 10 hours and 36 minutes

KEN BARNES

More
10 months 6 days ago #1 by MONA
MONA created the topic: KEN BARNES
For those who can remember the 1960's and the Ken Barnes era there was a lovely article in the Daily Mail last Saturday written by Peter Barnes Ken's son. It was basically highlighting Ken's 50 year friendship with a guy called Denis Law. I remember going into the old central ground Club after a match and lo and behold Denis Law was sitting there as he'd come to see some proper footie played with his mate Ken running the show. Denis was a really nice guy to chat too and I enjoyed it for 5 minutes.
The article also highlighted his friendship with Sir Bobby Charlton. Apparently when Bobby was starting out at Man Utd he used to meet up with Ken in a coffee bar in Manchester. He used to scrounge a fag off Ken and called him Mr Barnes. After a couple of these Meetings Ken apparently told Bobby to call him Ken not Mr Barnes and to buy his own fags!! Also mentioned was Ken's friendship with Dennis Violet who obviously turned out in a few games for us. I think the idea was that Peter who played for City and United was trying to bring out that in the bygone years players from both Manchester club were quite friendly with each other before money moved in and spoilt the game. This was proably a pre amble to the big derby on Sunday.
I remember the Pritch testimonial where I actually got to shake hands and talk with two of my boyhood idols Ken Barnes and Alf Ashley two of the greatest footballer I've ever seen. I missed out on shaking hands with my favourite all time player Sir Tom Finney but Ken and Alf were up there for me with him. Great times!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: eligorton, WHS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Club Shop Online

Check out the great range of goods on sale at the Witton Albion Club Shop.

More
10 months 6 days ago #2 by eligorton
eligorton replied the topic: KEN BARNES
Agree with Mona . Thank Tom Stelfox for bringing Ken to Witton. Did not win much but the football was superb !

More
10 months 6 days ago #3 by WHS
WHS replied the topic: KEN BARNES
Played in a Brunner cup match alongside Alf Ashley, he was a good bowler, a fine footballer but most of all a lovely fellow.
WHS.

I have been retired for 8 years now and I can confirm two things; You cannot work out how you found time to go to work and it is wonderful to be TOTALLY in charge of your life, with the wife's permission of course. Read me in the Our Town magazine.

More
10 months 6 days ago #4 by WHEELS
WHEELS replied the topic: KEN BARNES
Just to add to the subject, I have recently acquired a copy of the book titled "This Simple Game " The footballing life of Ken Barnes.

The book was written by Radio Manchester's Jimmy Wagg and has reference to Witton Albion.

My intention is to auction the book at the next Sporting Dinner and raise money for Witton Albion Football Club.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WHS, Thatched tavern, CallumBradkeMedia

More
10 months 5 days ago #5 by WHS
.Brillant.
WHS.

I have been retired for 8 years now and I can confirm two things; You cannot work out how you found time to go to work and it is wonderful to be TOTALLY in charge of your life, with the wife's permission of course. Read me in the Our Town magazine.

More
10 months 4 days ago #6 by albion forever
albion forever replied the topic: KEN BARNES
The Ken Barnes teams were one of the best football teams i have seen at Witton, but alas they didn't win the number of trophies their football deserved. Great days though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: eligorton

More
10 months 3 days ago #7 by WHS
Ken always said he was a "Sucker for a Footballer" so his team contained many talented players but few "Hard men" who could nail the opposition. They played beautiful football though, great to watch.
WHS.

More
10 months 2 days ago #8 by eligorton
eligorton replied the topic: KEN BARNES
Stuart Davey was the only hard man needed !
The following user(s) said Thank You: WHS

More
10 months 17 hours ago - 10 months 10 hours ago #9 by MONA
MONA replied the topic: KEN BARNES
Can I just say that I totally agree with you Eli about Tom Stelfox. He was a great guy who I often met in Northwich and chatted to for half an hour. He always had time to talk to supporters and we would not have got Ken Barnes had it not been that Tom employed him in his insurance business. Tom used to tell me that Ken spent lots of time on the phone talking to players rather than doing any insurance deals!!
Tom probably the best chairman we ever had along with Samuel Powell. As has been said its really sad that the Barnes team never won anything significant considering the fantastic football they played but what a team and great times.
Last Edit: 10 months 10 hours ago by WHEELS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WHS, albion forever

Time to create page: 0.606 seconds